Research Show Online Bashers are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists…Woah!
Internet changed how people communicate with each other – distance is no longer a barrier and time did not matter. no wonder when PINOYs discovered these communication options, they felt free; they flocked and thrived these social media sites. unfortunately along the way, some have lost their manners.
according to psychologytoday.com, an Internet Troll (or locally referred to as Online Basher) is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to have fun or upset everyone else involved. trolls will lie, exaggerate, and bash (offend) to get a response.
a Canadian research found evidences that linked bashing with the “Dark Tetrad” of personality traits: narcissism, machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.
- Narcissism – is characterized by grandiosity (pagka-engrande), pride (kayabangan), and a lack of empathy (walang pakialam)
- Machiavellianism – is characterized by manipulation and exploitation of others (mapansamantala), and a focus on self-interest and deception (makasarili at mapanlinlang)
- Psychopathy – is characterized by enduring antisocial behavior (mapag-sarili), impulsivity (di pinag-iisipan ang ginagawa), selfishness (maramot), and remorselessness (walang awa).
PINOYs being one of the top social media users in the world, actively take part in what is popular and trending (uso). since the Internet offers anonymity, it is so easy to express oneself with reckless disregard.
several PINOY personalities have responded to online bashing, and when faced with one, remember:
- they find pleasure in your suffering
- choose your battles, bashers are difficult people to deal with
- the best thing you can do is pause, pray, and ignore them
MANNERS MAKETH MAN.